Saturday, June 2, 2012

Nightlife in Cape Town

My blog wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t touch on every important aspect of my time here in Cape Town. So, I can’t leave out what the night life here is like. We go out quite a bit, sometimes we stay around the neighborhood and just go to a bar or lounge for drinks and other times we head to the infamous Long Street which is the long block of clubs and bars that is filled with young people every weekend. My tolerance for clubs is a lot less here in South Africa since it seems like everyone smokes and doing it in public is just fine. Hair, clothes, everything will smell like cigarette smoke by the end of the night so that’s the one thing I hate about it here. 

Other than that, nightlife is pretty much a time for going out with the other students and getting to unwind with them. Most of the guys here at the clubs are sketchy and just stare at you the entire night or try and get touchy feely or my personal favorite, come up to you and say “I must take you home with me”. So, I pretty much like going out for the good company. It’s been cool learning some of the local dances and developing a liking for house music. Dancing here is so much more chill and you kind of just flow with the music. Perfect for a night where you’ve had too many drinks. ;-) This is just what I’ve been told though…


Overall, the nightlife here is cool. I’m pretty sure there are some really great places with not so creepy men but we have yet to find them. It’s just fun being in a new place where people don’t know who you are and probably won’t ever see you again so it’s quite alright to let your hair down. It’s so fun going out and hearing the American music that reminds you of home. Those are some of my favorite nights. It makes me feel less far away and more connected to this new place because we now have this thing in common. 

No comments:

Post a Comment